THE SHORT VERSION
M. L. Buchman has over 50 novels in print (and an ever-expanding flock of short fiction that seems to be breeding on its own). His military romantic suspense books have been named Barnes & Noble and NPR “Top 5 of the Year,” nominated for the Reviewer’s Choice Award for “Top 10 Romantic Suspense of 2014” by RT Book Reviews, and three-time Booklist “Top 10 of the Year” placing multiple titles on their “The 101 Best Romance Novels of the Last 10 Years.” In addition to romance, he also writes thrillers, fantasy, and science fiction.
In among his career as a corporate project manager he has: rebuilt and single-handed a fifty-foot sailboat, both flown and jumped out of airplanes, designed and built two houses, and bicycled solo around the world.
He is now making his living as a full-time writer on the Oregon Coast with his beloved wife. He is constantly amazed at what you can do with a degree in Geophysics. You may keep up with his writing by subscribing to his newsletter.
THE SLIGHTLY LONGER VERSION
His full name, Matthew Lieber Buchman, translates as Matthew Beloved Book Man, no wonder he’s a writer.
- Almost born in a taxi during one of the worst snowstorms in Pennsylvania’s history
- Lived his “Wonder Bread Years” (yes, he’s dating himself) in a town of 1,200 people and 10,000 head of dairy cattle
- Went to college in Maine where they really do say, “Ya cain’t get the-ah from he-ah.”
- Tossed a coin (literally) and drove to Seattle 5 days after graduating from college (had never been west of Colorado). Has been rooted in the Pacific Northwest ever since.
- After a career crash, he rode solo around the world on a bicycle, his “Mid-life Crisis on Wheels” (yes, someday it will be a book, he promises).
- Was a live theater electrician and soundman for several years
- Rebuilt and single-handed (sailed solo) a 50′ ketch
- Designed and built a solar-powered house
- Can sing an opera aria (no, really!, though he’s a bit out of practice now)
- Has proved he’s incompetent on a wide variety of musical instruments including: piano, drums, guitar, banjo, flute, fiddle, and didgeridoo
- Has piloted and jumped out of planes (though not on the same flight and no, the planes weren’t parked on the ground when he jumped out of them)
- Can cook a meal on a campfire or put together a feed for a crowd of a hundred and twenty
- Taekwondo Black Belt
- That Vulcan hand sign thing? Easy-peasy courtesy of a really dull AP chemistry class. Doing it with his toes? Not so much.
- Quilter (check them out here)
Careers (has had many–ye olde resume is…ah…creative)
- Theater electrician
- Paralegal, esp. construction law and Class Action settlements
- 15+ years in computers including: law, a national opera company, and even owning (briefly) a consulting firm to a Fortune 100 petrochemical (see Mid-life Crisis on Wheels above)
- Tourist Map Designer
- Founded Buchman Bookworks in 1999, initially to perform book layout and design for many national publishers, now incorporated to manage his own publications
- Design Manager for Pacific Northwest’s largest floor- and roof-truss manufacturer before the recession wiped it out
- Really 30 years as a Project Manager, just across 7 industries
- Full-time writer
- Hundreds of computer classes
- Dozens of project management classes (including certification courses)
- Writing classes at University of Washington and at many other conferences and weekend courses
- Ghost writer for national opera company programs
- Way too many training and operations manuals
- Science Fiction and Fantasy writer since 1993
- Romance writer since 2000
- Over 50 novels and as many short stories in print (as of 2017)
- Lives and writes within a 5-minute walk of the Oregon Coast beaches
- Favorite companion for the walk is my spouse of 15+ years
- Don’t even get me started about my kid, I’m one of “those” parents. Though I have resisted the obnoxious bragging bumper stickers, it’s a close thing.
Matt Buchman and his bike Junior (1993-1994)